Brooke McAtee, MSN, RN
Director of Nursing
"Online education provides nurses who work in the field the opportunity to continue their educational journey. Obtaining an education while working is a difficult task; therefore, I utilize a student-centered approach that helps the student apply the information to their nursing role."
- MSN – University of Phoenix, 2008
- BSN – University of Missouri-Columbia, 2002
- Began nursing career as a labor and delivery nurse at the University hospital, caring for many high-risk clients
- Entered nursing education in 2005 and found it to be her true passion
- Aided in the development of curriculum for practical nursing, associate degree nursing and bachelor's degree nursing
- Helped develop and teach courses in one of the first online associate degree nursing programs in the state
- Aided in the most recent launch of the RN to BSN program at Northwest by supporting the development of the RN to BSN nursing curriculum
- Serves as a Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA) site reviewer
Which classes do you teach online?
Theories and Models of Nursing, and Leadership and Management in Nursing.
What do you want your students to take away from class?
Overall, I want students to succeed and have a positive learning experience. I hope to provide students with various skills that prepare them for a leadership role in the nursing profession.
Why did you start teaching?
Honestly, I began teaching because it provided an opportunity for me to be home with my family every night. However, soon after taking on my role as a nurse educator, I found it to be one of the most difficult, yet rewarding, jobs. I love helping the students meet their goals and conquer their dreams. I like being their support system through their educational process. My favorite day as a teacher is graduation. I get to observe a student receive something they worked hard to achieve, and I get to honor their success!
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the business world?
Grit and determination! You can truly do ANYTHING you set your mind to!
What advice would you give to your online students?
You must have good time management skills. Try not to procrastinate!
What do you do when you need a laugh?
As the only girl in my home, my husband and my sons provide me with opportunities to laugh and enjoy life!