Dr. Deborah Toomey
"Working with college students has been my passion for the last 13 years. What began as an interesting job opportunity has turned into a lifetime commitment."
- DBA – Anderson University, 2011
- MBA – Northwest Missouri State University, 1996
- B.S. – Northwest Missouri State University, 1994
- Adjunct from Spring 2000 - Spring 2006
- Non-tenure track, Fall 2006 - Summer 2011
- Tenure-track, Fall 2011 - present
- Prior to teaching, worked in higher education administration, healthcare administration and retail
Which class do you teach online?
Advanced Marketing Communication.
What do you want your students to take away from class?
Course Objectives: Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- evaluate the components of promotion
- analyze the utilization of integrated marketing communications (IMC)
- assess current promotional campaigns
Why did you start teaching?
Working with college students has been my passion for the last 13 years. What began as an interesting job opportunity has turned into a lifetime commitment. I have worked as an administrator for most of my tenure at the university, but my time as a teacher has been the most rewarding. Teaching offers the opportunity to provide assistance to a widely diverse group of students. During my time as a teacher, I have been able to mentor, advise, teach, and support the business students at Northwest Missouri State University. Many students start the process of higher education without realizing the importance that relationships with their faculty members will play in their success as students and graduates. These extraneous relationships often help a student become a more well-rounded individual, rather than just a student taking classes, and I hope to facilitate such relationships.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the business world?
Hard work, being organized, being able to identify a problem and set a course of action to solve the problem.
What advice would you give to your online students?
Stay engaged, check in at least once a day into the class instead of trying to get an entire unit's work done in one sitting.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"Selling the Invisible" by Harry Beckwith.
What do you do when you need a laugh?
Spend time with my family and friends. They always keep me laughing.